Monday, September 4, 2017

Travel diaries: The history of Berlin




I rarely get attached to cities, and I really mean this but Berlin really trapped me. Only one city before Berlin had made me feel like Berlin and that was Los Angeles (after Berlin was Paris). Berlin was the kind of city that I promise myself I was going to live there, I was in love with this city. Maybe it was the amount of art and history this city carry, and the fact that my favorite part of history is the Cold War. Berlin has a certain magic and captivity that no other city has ever offered me. I can’t even begin to explain how in love I was with this city.
No me suelo aferrara a ciudades y lo digo muy en serio, pero Berlín me atrapó realmente. Una sola ciudad me atrapó igual que Berlín, antes que ella y fue Los Ángeles (después fue Paris). Berlín es el tipo de ciudad que prometí que algún día iba a volver para vivir ahí. Estaba completamente enamorada de la ciudad. Capaz era la cantidad de arte e historia que lleva, y el hecho de que mi parte favorita de historia es la Guerra Fría. Berlín tiene una magia que ninguna ciudad me ofreció y te atrapa más que cualquier ciudad. No puedo explicar cómo me enamoré de esta ciudad.

I believe the best thing to do in Berlin is to walk, although you have really good train/subway system, walking is really nice. It was the middle of the summer and the weather was so nice, it was hot nor cold, that's why I highly recommend walking. It does, however get cold in the winter.
La mejor manera de moverse en Berlín es caminando, aunque tienen buen subte/tren, es muy linda para caminarla. Fui en el medio del verano y el clima era perfecto, ni frío, ni calor, por eso recomiendo caminar, capaz en invierno debe hacer un poco de frío para hacerlo.




Day 1 - Brandenburg Gate, Berlin Victory column, Holocaust memorial, Jewish museum




We arrived to Berlin from Krakow (Warsaw-Krakow post coming next month I promise) cover in mud, and fully rested from the long bus ride, I can’t believe I didn’t wake up once in the entire ride, I was that tired from the camp in Krakow. So after a shower we went to explore the city stopping first to have breakfast near the hotel. After that we started walking. Our first stop was the Brandenburg Gate, located in Mitte which is where we spend most of the time and wear the hotel was, the gate is one of the classical landmarks of Berlin. After crossing the gate we walk up to the Berlin Victory Column which the walk was nice since we were bordering a park. On the way back however, we walked through the Tiergarten park which is one of the most popular park in Berlin, and it is truly beautiful.
Llegamos a Berlín desde Cracovia (el post de Varsovia-Cracovia lo hago el mes que viene, lo prometo) llenas de barro y descansadas después del viaje en micro, no puedo creer que dormir todo el viaje porque estaba cansada del campamento en Cracovia. Asi que despues de bañarme fuimos a explorar la ciudad, primero paramos a desayunar cerca del hotel. Después seguimos caminando y llegamos a la puerta de Brandenburgo, un punto destacable en Berlín. La puerta está localizada en Mitte donde pasamos la mayor parte del tiempo y donde se encontraba el hotel. Después de cruzar la puerta caminamos hasta la columna de la Victoria de Berlín, la caminata fue agradable ya que rodeamos el parque Tiergarten. A la vuelta decidimos entrar en el parque y hacer el recorrido por dentro de uno de los parque más conocidos de Berlín.





While we were searching for a place to eat we found ourself in the Republic Square, which I low key wanted to stay there and live since there were so many young people just eating there or hanging out, so if I ever actually move there I think I might spend 24/7 there. In the square the Reichstag building is located which is a historic building in Germany and where the official German reunification occurred in 1990 (yes, I was excited).
Mientras buscamos un lugar para comer nos encontramos con la Plaza de la República donde me quería quedar y vivir ahí, ya que estaba lleno de jóvenes comiendo ahi o pasando el rato, así que si alguna vez me mudó acá creo que voy a pasar mucho tiempo en este parque. Aca se encuentra el edificio Reichstag, un edificio histórico de Alemania donde aconteció oficialmente la unificación alemana en 1990 (si, me emocione).






After lunch we decided to continue walking and we end up at the Holocaust memorial, which is stunning. The memorial was designed by Peter Eisenman and it holds 2,711 concrete slabs, you can’t miss it if you are in Berlin. I think this was the highlight of the city.
Después de almorzar decidimos seguir caminando y terminamos en el monumento del Holocausto, el cual es muy lindo. El monumento fue diseñado por Peter Eisenman y tiene 2,711 losas de hormigón, no lo podes perder si vas a Berlín. Creo que es lo que más resalto de la ciudad.







After this we walk over to the Jewish Museum which was located really farther away but it was worth the walk. The Jewish Museum is a huge museum which brings together all the history of Jewish from the very beginning, going through World War II until now a days. I truly believe this is really interesting to understand everything and to know what truly happened in World War II, the two parts that really struck were: first, the replication of a gas chamber, which was terrifying, I remember being there and just getting goose bumps (I’m getting emotional as I type this). Also, the Garden of Exile which is tilted and has 49 pillars in order to make you feel dizzy and lost, as the Jewish felt in Concentration camps.
Después caminamos al Museo de los Judíos el cual estaba bastante lejos pero valió la pena. El museo de los judíos es un museo enorme que reúne toda la historia de los judíos desde el principio, pasando por la Segunda Guerra Mundial hasta hoy en día. Creo que es bastante interesante aprende todo y saber que paso en serio en la Guerra. Hubo dos momentos que me pegaron muy fuerte: uno la réplica de la cámara de gas, que fue muy fuerte, me acuerdo de estar ahí y tener piel de gallina. El otro, fue el Jardín del exilio el cual tiene 49 pilares y su piso está inclinado para sentirte perdido y mareado cómo se sentían los judíos en los campos de concentración.

PS: While doing research for this post I realized I missed lots of things, I highly recommend you spend an entire day there!
PS: mientras hacía investigación para este post me di cuenta que me perdí muchas cosas, así que recomiendo tomarse un día entero para este museo.



Day 2 - Berlin Cathedral, DDR Museum, Haus Schwarzenberg




The next day we woke up a little bit later and we walked to the Berlin Cathedral where I debated if I should go inside or not. I’m glad I said yes, the Cathedral inside is beautiful but what I enjoyed the most was the view from the top, you had a stunning view of Berlin. Getting there is really hard since the stairs are spiral staircase and it's pretty high but I promise it is worth it.
Al día siguiente nos levantamos un poco más tarde y fuimos hasta la Catedral de Berlín donde dudé si debía entrar o no, por suerte dije que si. La Catedral es muy linda por dentro pero lo que mas me gusto fue la vista que tienen arriba de todo, una hermosa vista de Berlín. Llegar ahí fue muy difícil ya que las escaleras eran caracol y era bastante alto, pero prometo que vale la pena.



After finding a nice place to eat and to shelter from the rain we went to the DDR museum. Once again I was in heaven, the museum shows you the lifestyle of people living in what used to be East Germany while occupied by the soviets. It's really interesting how people live while rule by communism and how everything evolved. It's a really small museum but it is really worth it.
Después de encontrar un lugar para comer y refugiarnos de la lluvia fuimos al museo de DDR. Una vez más estaba en un paraíso, el museo te muestra el estilo de vida de la gente que vivía en Alemania del Este mientras era ocupada por los soviéticos. Es muy interesante ver cómo vivía la gente mientras gobernaba el comunismo y cómo iba todo evolucionando. Es un museo muy pequeño, pero vale la pena realmente.




After that we went to a street which was filled with clothing stores (clothes are rather cheaper in Germany), and as we walked around and bought clothes a friend stumbleupon Haus Schwarzenberg an ally filled with bars and graffitis, which you might remembered I talked in my post about street art. I was in love with this place and to be honest if it wasn't because I was really tired I would have love to come at night here.
Después de eso fuimos a una calle llena de negocios de ropa (la ropa es mucho más barata en Alemania) y mientras compramos ropa una amiga llegó a Haus Schwarzenberg. Un callejón que esconde diferentes bares los cuales están decorados con murales por artistas callejeros. En Haus Schwarzenberg no solo puedes tomar un típica cerveza alemana sino que además se puede apreciar el arte callejero.




Day 3 - Gendarmenmarkt, Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, East Side Gallery


Day 3 was our last day in Berlin. Our first spot was Gendarmenmarkt which is a square that carries  Konzerthaus(concert hall) and the French and German Churches and was badly destroyed during World War II.
El tercer día fue el último en Berlín. El primer lugar que fuimos fue Gendarmenmarkt el cual es un plaza que tiene Konzerthaus (sala de conciertos) y las iglesias francesas y alemanas, estos lugares fueron dañados y destruidos durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial.





After lunch we walked to Checkpoint Charlie, which was the best-known place to cross the Berlin Wall from West to East Berlin during the Cold War (would I ever stop talking about the Cold War?). Later on, we continue walking and arrived to Topography of Terror, where the Berlin Wall was never demolished and get to see real and raw parts of it.

Después de almorzar fuimos al Checkpoint Charlie, era el cruce más conocido del muro de Berlín para pasar del lado Oeste al lado Este durante la Guerra fría (¿En algún momento voy a dejar de hablar de la Guerra Fría?). Después, seguimos caminando y llegamos a la Topografía del Terror, donde una parte del muro de Berlín todavía se para y uno puede ver el verdadero y crudo muro.





Lastly, we took a subway to the East Side Gallery, the gallery is farther from where we were staying (Mitte) which I believe was the nicest place to stay in Berlin. But East Side Gallery is a must go, the gallery is build on what used to be the Berlin Wall and it has 103 murals all which spread messages of peace and unity. I think you should go with a lot of time in your hands since the wall is pretty long and it is nice to actually see all the art there. I kind of want to go back to Berlin to see all of the wall.
Por último, nos subimos a un subte para ir a la East Side Gallery, que está ubicada más lejos de donde nos quedamos (Mitte), donde me parece que es el mejor lugara para quedarse. Pero la East Side Gallery se debe ir si o si, está galería tiene 103 murales al aire libre está montada sobre lo que solía ser el muro de Berlín que dividía Berlín del Este con Berlín del Oeste, por esto para conmemorar la unión de Alemania artista de todo el mundo se han reunido para pintar obras sobre la libertad y esperanza al terminar la guerra fría. Deben ir con mucho tiempo ya que es largo y es muy lindo el arte que tiene allí. Quiero volver a Berlín para recorrer toda la galería.




Berlin is truly a magnificent city and I guarantee that everyone would enjoy it, whether is the history, the art or the young life the city carries, I know anyone can enjoy it.
Berlín es una ciudad maravillosa, y estoy segura que a cualquiera le puede gustar, sea por la historia, el arte o la vida joven que tiene la ciudad, a cualquiera le puede gustar.

Have you ever been to Berlin? What has been your favorite place? Let me know!
Love

Pili

No comments:

Post a Comment