Sunday, September 10, 2017

How it Really Feels Coming Back Home




After 3 and a half years of living in Paraguay I knew I was heading back home. I thought it was going to be easy, it was home after all. I had lived in this place for 13 years, I knew where I was heading, right? But it wasn’t. Moving back home after living abroad can be so hard. It feels like any other move maybe easier but it can be exhausted and confusing.
Después de vivir tres años y medio en Paraguay sabia que tenia que volver a casa. Creí que iba a ser fácil, después de todo era casa. Había vivido en este país 13 años, sabía hacia donde estaba yendo, ¿no? Pero no fue así. Mudarse de nuevo a casa después de vivir afuera puede ser muy difícil. Es como mudarse de nuevo capaz más fácil pero igualmente es confuso y agotador.


As days and weeks went by I started asking myself, now what? Now what do I do? I was stuck in a routine that was bothering me. I know that when you are in High School you are also in a routine but my routine changed when every month or every 2 months we would pack and go back home for a quick visit. I started to miss that. I miss packing, I miss looking out the window, I miss disappearing for a weekend. I miss just traveling. I didn’t have a trip to look forward to because everything just become home. I wasn’t going anywhere because I was there, I was home. I still feel this every now and then, like I miss traveling frequently and I miss the feeling of going back home. It is like you can't feel homesick because you are home, but homesick is suppose to be a sad but yet you miss it.
Los días y las semanas pasaban y me preguntaba, ¿Ahora qué? ¿Ahora que hago? Estaba atrapada en una rutina que me molestaba. Sé que cuando estás en el secundario también estás en una rutina pero mi rutina cambiaba cuando cada uno o dos meses haciamos las valijas y volvíamos a casa para una visita. Empecé a extrañar eso. Extrañaba hacer las valijas, extrañaba mirar por la ventana, extrañaba desaparecer por un fin de semana. Extraña simplemente viajar. No había ningún viaje para esperar porque todo se hizo mi casa. No iba a irme a ningún lado porque ya estaba ahí, estaba en casa. Todavía lo siento esto cada tanto, extraño viajar frecuentemente y extraño volver a casa. Es como que no sentis la nostalgia de tu casa porque estás ahí pero se supone que la nostalgia es triste y duele pero igualmente la extrañas.


I moved away when I was 15 years old, and while most 15 years old are learning to take a bus and learning their way around I never got the chance. I had taken buses but I was younger, I had live downtown and gone downtown but never alone. Moving back home meant navigating on my own and it got frustrating when I was lost every two blocks. When you live your teenagers years, which are the ones you learn to be alone, in another country you learn more about that country that your own. You learn more about airports that the town. You are thrown into a new world where everyone speaks your own language, everyone has your same passport, everyone is like you but yet you are an alien because you don’t understand anything.
Me mude cuando tenía 15 años, y mientras la mayoría de los chicos de 15 años están comenzando a tomarse el colectivo y moviéndose solos, nunca pude aprender esto. Había tomado colectivos pero era más chica, había vivido en Buenos Aires y había ido allí pero nunca sola. Mudarme de nuevo a casa significaba navegar yo sola y es frustrante cuando te perdes cada dos cuadras. Mientras muchos aprenden en la adolescencia a moverse solos, yo lo hacia pero en un país que no era el mío, conocía mejor Asunción que Buenos Aires. Sabía más sobre aeropuertos que sobre ciudades. Te tiran a un mundo nuevo donde todos hablan tu idioma, todos tienen tu mismo pasaporte, son todos como vos pero te sentís un alien porque no entendes nada.


To me this is still one of the hardest part about being home.  You know how you don't know what have until it's gone? That's exactly how I feel about this feelings and this one is hard to explain but I feel like anyone who has live abroad gets me. There is that funny idea when you are in a different country that you are different than the people around you. Something about you just stick outs. You are like a tall person surrounded by elfs. It's not because of how you look but how you feel. You are something else. At times this gets really annoying since people can hurt you, point you out or ask you way too many questions but you know you have that feeling still there. But all of a sudden, you are back home.  You are you. You are just another argentinean, with that mood and that passion, you are just one of them. You don’t stick out anymore, you are not louder than them, you don’t speak any different language, you still pronounce your “Y” and “LL” with that heavy accent. You are just another one. Suddenly, you miss that. You miss being an alien, you miss being different. You miss the “that accent..” or “Buenos Aires?” (Truth: I still got ask about my accent once I was back home) You miss being unique.
Para mi esto fue lo más difícil de volver a casa. ¿Vieron cuando dicen: No sabes lo que tienes hasta que se va? Esto es exactamente lo que pasa con este sentimiento y es difícil de explicar, pero cualquiera que hay vivido afuera entiende. Está ese sentimiento simpático cuando vivis en otro país que son diferente de los que te rodean. Algo tuyo sobresalta. Es cómo una persona alta rodeada de enanos. No es por tu apariencia sino por cómo te sentís. Sos como algo distinto. A veces puede ser molesto, porque te pueden lastimar, señalar o hacerte muchas preguntas pero el sentimiento está siempre ahí. De repente, estás en casa. Sos vos. Sos una argentina más, con ese humor y esa pasión, sos uno de ellos. Ya no resaltas, ya no hablas mas fuerte, ya no hablas otro idioma, pronuncia las “y” y las “ll” con ese acento fuerte. Sos uno mas. De pronto, extrañas esos. Extrañas ser un alien, ser diferente. Extrañas los: “Ese acento...” o “Buenos Aires?” (Verdad: cuando volví a casa todavía me preguntaba por mi acento porque sonaba extraño). Extrañas ser única.


While writing this I went back to an article I read a while ago by Corey Heller called “Returning Home After Living Abroad” and here he talks about the “Reverse Culture Shock”. As I read this article I kept nodding my head and saying “Yeah that's it!” We are always stuck in a confusing feeling like “It’s a little like free-falling.  It feels as if we are floating aimlessly on restless waters.” Like we are blindly navigating through this newish world. A world we used to know and now we are so confused about. Is this where I belong? Am I supposed to feel at home?
Mientras escribía esto volví a un artículo que leí una vez de Cory Heller que se llama Returning Home After Living Abroad” (“Volver a casa después de vivir afuera”) y acá habla del “Choque cultural inverso”. Mientras leí este artículo, asentía con la cabeza y decía “¡Eso! Exactamente eso.” Estamos atrapados en un sentimiento muy confuso como “Una caída libre. Cómo que estás flotando sin objetivo en unas aguas inquietas.” Cómo que estamos ciegamente navegando en un mundo un poco nuevo. Un mundo que conocemos pero confuso. ¿Acá pertenezco?  ¿Me tengo que sentir en casa?


I was recently listening to Logic and he says he always saw things from two sides because he was biracial. And I was like “That's it!” that's how you feel when you are back home. You have picked up things from a different culture but you still have your own culture in you, so you see things from both sides. Just like Logic was raise in a black and white family, we were raise in a hometown and abroad, and we all see things from two sides. This is the perk and the reason why living abroad is beautiful, you get a new view of life, a more panoramic view.

Hace poco estaba escuchando Logic y siempre dice cómo ves las cosas desde dos lados, porque es biracial. Y tuve un momento de “¡Exacto!” así es cómo nos sentimiento cuando volvemos a casa. Agarraste cosas de otra cultura pero todavía tenes la tuya encima, entonces ves las cosas desde dos lados. Cómo Logic, que creció en una familia blanca y negra, crecimos en nuestro sociedad pero también afuera y vemos los dos lados. Esto es la ventaja de vivir afuera y la razón por la cual vivir afuera es tan lindo, tenes una nueva vista de la vida, más panorámica.


Love
Pili


No comments:

Post a Comment