Sunday, August 20, 2017

What I learn living in Paraguay



I was 15 years old. The peak of my teenager years, when you think you have it all figured out, when you believed you are living the best life ever. I was 15 years old when my parents told me I was moving to Asunción, Paraguay. I didn’t know anything about Asunción. I had no idea what to expect. The first few comments of the people I told them I was moving were hurtful to be honest, like I was moving to the end of the world. Asunción is not the end of the world, and it is by no way a bad place to live. So, if you have any preconception of it, I invite to read along or leave and be naive about it.
Tenía 15 años. La cumbre de mi adolescencia, cuando pensas que sabes todo, cuando pensas que estás viviendo los mejores años de tu vida. Tenía 15 años cuando mis papas me dijeron que nos íbamos a mudar a Asunción, Paraguay. No sabía nada sobre Asunción. No sabia que esperar. Los primeros comentarios que recibí de la gente fueron un poco hiriente, para ser honesta, como si me estuviera mudando al fin del mundo. Asunción no es el fin del mundo y no es un mal lugar para vivir. Así que, si tenes prejuicios de Paraguay, te invito a que sigas leyendo o sino anda y segui siendo ingenuo.




Paraguay is pretty small country, but that doesn't mean it is not beautiful or unique in its own way. It took me a while to understand Paraguay and how to feel at home there, it still does whenever I go back. But once you have adapt to it is easy to feel at home there. I’ll break it to 6 interesting things I’ve learned living there for 3 and a half years:
Paraguay es un país bastante chico, pero no por eso no es lindo y único a su manera. Me costó un tiempo entender Paraguay y que me haga sentir como en casa, y todavía me cuesta cada vez que vuelvo. Pero una vez que te adaptas, es fácil adoptarlo como tu casa. Voy a romperlo en 6 cosas interesante que aprendí viviendo ahi por 3 años y medio:




There is a lot of green
I live in the outskirt of Buenos Aires so of course we have a lot of green, but what really struck me here was the fact that the main city has so much green. If you are familiar with Buenos Aires you know that you only get the occasional thin tree in the street. In Asunción, however, you’ll be around the city and it is filled with trees. My house had this beautiful massive backyard even though I was in a pretty urban part of town. You also have this amazing parks where you can go to work out (I still need to add Asunción to my Nike+ Run Club app).
Hay mucho verde
Vivo en las afueras de Buenos Aires, así que obviamente tenemos mucho verde pero lo que me pego bastante fue el hecho de que en la ciudad principal haya tanto verde. Si conoces Buenos AIres, sabes que lo único que ves un árbol finito cada tanto. En Asunción, estás en una ciudad repleta de árboles. Mi casa tenia un jardín enorme y estaba en una parte bastante urbana. Además, también tienes los parques donde puedes hacer ejercicio (todavía tengo que agregar Asunción en mi Nike+ Run Club).





People are just nice
Anyone from a big city knows, people are not that nice. People in Buenos Aires can be rude, and I say this being 100% porteña. But not in Asunción, everyone is just...nice. Everyone is ready to help whenever you need and will always be polite to you when you walk to a store. I remember whenever I went back Buenos Aires while I was in Asunción I told my mom how confused I was at people being rude. (Still love Buenos Aires and the moody arsehole we can be).
Las personas son amables
Cualquier persona que venga de una ciudad grande sabe que las personas no son muy amables. Las personas en Buenos Aires pueden ser groseras, y lo digo siendo 100% porteña (algo así). Pero en Asunción, todos son...amables. Todos están listos para ayudar cuando lo necesitas y siempre son educados cuando estas en cualquier negocio. Me acuerdo que cuando volvía a Buenos Aires mientras vivía en Asunción le decía a mi mamá que estaba muy confundida de lo groseras que eran las personas. (Igual, te quiero Buenos Aires y lo mal humorados que podemos ser).






Learning Guarani
Here is the truth: I had Guarani lessons for 3 and half years and I never learn a word. Being 100% honest, I hated the class. Most times I was really lost about it and didn’t understand a word. Guarani is Paraguay and North Argentina native language and it is mandatory in Paraguay for students to have a few hours of Guarani in school, and while most of my friends have been studying the language since 1st grade I was new to it and nothing made sense. However, I did realize that not everyone spoke Spanish. When I worked for Operation Smile, one of the kid who had surgery didn’t speak Spanish and I had no idea how to communicate with him.
Aprendiendo Gurani
Está es la verdad: tuve clases de Guaraní por 3 años y medios y nunca aprendí una sola palabra. Siendo 100% honesta, odiaba las clases. La mayoría de las veces estaba perdida y no entendía una sola palabra. Guaraní es el idioma nativo de Paraguay y en el norte de Argentina y en Paraguay es obligatorio que los colegios lo enseñen. Pero mientras mis compañeros tenían clases desde 1er grado yo era nueva y no tenía mucho sentido. Igualmente, me di cuenta que no todos hablan español. Cuando trabajé con Operación Sonrisa, una de los nenes que se había operado no habla español y no tenía idea cómo comunicarme con él.




People are late
I think it is a whole latin american concept because everyone complains about how late we all are. The Danish blood must be strong in me because I’m never late and I hate being late, but whenever I’m in Paraguay I need to remember how late paraguayans can be. I believe it is because they are simply relax, nothing seems to be rushing paraguayans, which I think it is amazing, I wish I was that relax! Because of this they tend to be late to most places.
Las personas llegan tarde
Creo que es algo de todo latinoamérica porque todos se quejan de que siempre llegamos tarde. La sangre danesa debe ser fuerte en mi porque nunca llego tarde y odio llegar tarde, pero cuando estoy en Paraguay me acuerdo de que los paraguayos siempre llegan tarde. Creo que es el hecho de que son muy relajados, nada los está apurando, lo cual me parece increible, ¡Ojala pudiese estar así de relajada!




(This is San Bernardino a small town an hour away from Asunción)


Being Argentinean
After living in Brazil for 2 years I grew thick skin when it come to hearing comments about my country. If you are from Argentina, you’ll get the occasional joke or comment about it, but I learned to just roll my eyes and go on. Nothing was hurtful, comments on soccer or on some history which I just learned to brush it off.
Ser argentina
Después de vivir en Brasil por 2 años, llegue a tener piel gruesa cuando escucho comentarios sobre mi país. Si sos de Argentina, vas a escuchar cada tanto un chiste o comentario sobre el país, pero aprendí a ignorarlos. Nada fue muy doliente, comentarios sobre fútbol o sobre historia, que aprendí a pasarlos por alto.


Have you ever been to Paraguay?
Love

Pili

No comments:

Post a Comment